Eye injuries are very common in the workplace. Work-related accidents and eye injuries include chemical and grease splashes, steam burns, UV exposure, and flying wood and metal chips. Serious eye injuries are often caused by actual cuts or scrapes to the eye itself.
In addition to serious eye injuries, some workers are also at risk of developing eye diseases. Some infections can be transmitted through the mucous membrane of the eye. Blood drops, cough drops, direct contact with a contaminated finger, or something else often cause it. Fortunately, safety experts and ophthalmologists believe that eye protection can reduce the severity of eye injuries and, in some cases, prevent them.
Possible eye hazards at work
Appropriate eye protection should be used when there is a risk of eye damage in the workplace. Be aware that some tasks may have more potential eye hazards. Protection is required when there are risks to the eyes, such as:
- Ballistics: dust, concrete, metal, wood, and more.
- Chemicals: stains and smoke
- Radiation: visible light, ultraviolet radiation, heat or infrared radiation, laser
- Bloodborne pathogens: Hepatitis or HIV from blood or body fluids
How to protect your eyes at work?
The first step in protecting your eyes and vision in the workplace is knowing that there is a risk of injury. You can keep your eyes safe by doing the following:
- Use machine screens, work shields, or other engineering controls to eliminate hazards early in the day.
- Use appropriate eye protection.
- Keep your safety glasses in good condition. Replace damaged glasses.
- Appropriate safety glasses protect you from all kinds of eye hazards while you work.
- If you cut your eyes while working, see a doctor as soon as possible.
- It is very important to get immediate attention if you have eye pain, blurred vision, or vision loss. A visit to the doctor can help reduce the damage and restore your vision.
Eyes are our most valuable sense. Eye and sight protection at work is very important. Contact Rana Eye Hospital now to provide the best eye protection treatment in Ludhiana, Punjab, and protect your precious senses.