Optometry is a healthcare profession that is autonomous, educated, and regulated (licensed/registered), and optometrists are the primary healthcare practitioners of the eye and visual system who provide comprehensive eye and vision care, which includes refraction and dispensing, detection/diagnosis and management of disease in the eye, and the rehabilitation of conditions of the visual system.
Rana Hospital in collaboration with CT University is offering B-Optom and M-Optom courses. The training methodology provides integrated inputs which help to develop a high degree of conceptual skills, analytical skills and quality technical knowledge base among aspirants and prepares them for a bright future in the Eyecare Industry.
Bachelor in Optometry: The course will lead to a basic degree in optometry, which is considered as the minimum essential for statutory registration of optometrists in countries where Optometry has been brought under legislation.
Duration of the course: 4 years comprising of 3 academic years of study (6 semesters) and 1 year of clinical experience / internship.
Aims and objectives of the optometry course:
The four year Bachelors course in optometry has the following aims and objectives.
- To prepare a cadre of optometrists as primary eye care professionals by institutional education and clinical training. They can independently practice the profession and science of optometry in an optometry clinic, optical establishment or an eye hospital along with other medical professionals including ophthalmic surgeons.
- To train optometry graduates who will be able to teach optometry at a school/college of optometry, take up further education and to research in ophthalmic field.
- To train optometrists to independently perform the tasks of routine clinical eye examination including refraction, to detect any pathological disorders of the eye and system.
- To train optometrists to independently prescribe all types of optical corrections including spectacles, contact lenses, low vision aids, vision therapy eye exercises.
- To be able to satisfy the needs of the ophthalmic industry as a whole.
B. Optom(Lateral Entry) – Students who have diploma in optometry can join B-Optom by 2nd year of batch.
M. Optom – Master of optometry is post graduate program which offers the detail and advanced education in B Optom. It is a Full time Course. The teaching methodology includes providing such inputs that can help the students to develop a strong technical knowledge base and analytical skills to serve the society and shine in the Eye Care field of Health care Industry.