The Directorate General of Shipping in India deals with implementation of shipping legislation and policies in order to ensure the safety of life and ships at sea, promotion of maritime education, prevention of marine pollution, and training in co-ordination with the International Maritime Organization, regulation of employment along with welfare of seamen that involves development of coastal shipping, augmentation of shipping tonnage, examination and certification of Merchant Navy Officers, Supervision, and Control of allied offices that come under its administrative jurisdiction.
The Directorate General of shipping under relevant positions of Merchant Shipping Act 1958 and the rules framed under appoints certain medical examiners who can conduct medical examinations of Indian seafarers who serve Indian flag ships. Based on the procedure prescribed and relevant rules as well as notices issued from time to time, these medical examiners get approved by Directorate General of Shipping.
Here are the instructions that need to be followed by marine candidates when coming in for test for DG Shipping examination in Punjab: · Coming in to the clinic with a prior appointment will add to your convenience.
· Two latest passport sized color photographs will be required.
· In order to have accurate test results, it is recommended to come to the clinic at 8 am without having breakfast.
· Presenting your previous medical fitness certificate along with complete record of medical history.
· It is important to note that if you are 18 years of above, your medical fitness certificate will be valid for 2 years. If you are under 18 years of age, the validity of the same will be 1 year.
· We will need you to bring your company’s requisition for medical examination or provide us with your vessel’s name, location, as well as name of your employer you wish to join.
· We will need you to bring your Continuous discharge certificate (CDC) along with copy of your passport to establish your identity.
· We will need you to fill in the employee declaration form about your present health, any treatments, illnesses without concealing any facts.
We proudly share that Dr. Brijinder Singh Rana at Rana Hospital in Ludhiana is the only authorized medical examiner in Punjab approved by Directorate General of Shipping. So, people who wish to get their medical examination done for Navy can consult Dr. Rana without the need to go to Chandigarh or Delhi.
DG Shipping Approved Hospitals - Rana Hospital
If you are looking for DG Shipping Approved doctors in Punjab, feel free to contact us at: +91-161-4610923 or +91-9815709777. The range of ophthalmology services included at Rana Hospital but are not limited to pediatric eye care, LASIK correction, cataract, diabetic retinopathy treatment, vitreoretinal surgery, restorative surgery, and other ancillary eye services.
To find out more about medical test for seafarers you can also drop an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
we’ ve built a long standing relationship based on trust